Only those individuals and firms that deal directly with surplus lines insurers are required to have a surplus lines broker license. An individual producer contacts a surplus lines brokerage or managing general agency to place coverage in non-admitted markets does not need a surplus lines broker license.

Licensed surplus lines brokers may place business from licensed producers.

Licensed surplus lines brokers are responsible for reporting transactions and remitting surplus lines taxes to the Wyoming Department of Insurance.

All individuals and firms that are applying for or that currently hold a surplus lines broker license are required to file a $10,000 surplus lines bond with the Department.

Non-resident applicants must hold an active surplus lines license in their resident state