Licensing‎ > ‎Adjusters‎ > ‎



Quick Link--
New/Renewal Applications may be submitted electronically through Sircon or NIPR.
For information about renewing your Adjuster license, follow this link: Renewal and Reinstatement.

Legal Authority: 

License Required 

A Wyoming adjuster's license is required of any adjuster who:
  • by physical appearance or through electronic or other means,
  • acts in this state on behalf of an insurer,
  • for the purpose of investigating or making adjustment of a particular loss under an insurance policy.

"Adjuster" means any individual who:

    • for compensation as an independent contractor, or as the employee of an independent contractor, or as a salaried employee of an insurer, or for fee or commission,
    • on behalf of the insurer,
    • investigates and negotiates settlement of claims arising under insurance contracts.
  • Adjuster Firms are not licensed in Wyoming. 
  • The Department does not distinguish between adjusters on staff of an insurer and independent adjusters for licensing purposes. 
  • Public Adjusters are licensed as Consultants. The paper NAIC Uniform Application for Individual Adjuster License/Registration must be mailed to the Department with the License Fee of $100 and the Fingerprinting Fee    of $39.
Exemptions from Resident Licensing
  • An attorney-at-law who is licensed to practice law in Wyoming. 
  • A licensed producer who adjusts or assists in adjustment of losses arising under policies issued through that producer. 

Qualification for an Adjuster License 

To be licensed as an adjuster, the applicant shall:
    • Be an adult (age 18); 
    • Be a resident of Wyoming or of another state which permits residents of Wyoming to act as adjusters in that state; 
    • Be trustworthy and of good reputation 
    • Have and maintain an office accessible to the public; 
    • Keep in that office the usual and customary records (can be electronic); 
    • Meet at least one of the following:
  • Be a full-timed salaried employee of a licensed adjuster,
  • A graduate of a recognized (ABA accredited) law school, or
  • Have experience or special education or training on the handling of claims of sufficient duration and extent to be competent. 
  • Following a felony conviction, the Department denies a license application until the completion of all terms and conditions of sentencing, including probation and the payment of restitution.

License Class
  • Resident Adjuster

Lines of Authority
  • Property and Casualty
  • Crop (Multi-Peril Crop) – These are claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure crops.
  • The Adjuster Crop line of authority is available for individuals that will only hold the Crop line of authority.

License Term
  • License term is two (2) years. 
  • Licenses renew on the second anniversary of the last day of the month of the licensee’s birthday.
  • Licensees shall inform the commissioner by any means acceptable to the commissioner of a change of address within thirty (30) days of the change. This can be completed through Sircon or NIPR.
  • Licensees should review and update their email address on file electronically through NIPR Contract Change Request at NIPR (no charge) or Sircon.

Licensing Fees
  • License Term is two years.
  • Initial License: $100
  • Fingerprinting Fee $39
  • Total licensing Fee: $139
Renewal Fees
  • Renewal: $100
  • CE Reporting Fee $30
  • Total Renewal Fee: $130 

The fees submitted for an initial application or renewal/reinstatement application are non-refundable pursuant to Wyo. Stat. § 26-4-101.


How to Register for an Exam

Pearson VUE administers all required insurance licensing exams for the Department. For information on exam scheduling, procedures and outlines, follow this link: Pearson VUE.

Study materials are available from these vendors:

  • (also provides adjuster exam information)
  • AdjusterPro

  • License renewal requires a renewal application,  payment of the renewal invoice, and reporting continuing education.
  • Renewal invoices will be mailed at least 60 days prior to the license expiration.
  • Invoice will include the license renewal fee ($100) and the continuing education reporting fee ($30)
  • Electronic renewal is encouraged for efficiency and accuracy and is available through Sircon.
  • Continuing education may be reported any time during the licensing period but must be reported prior to the expiration of the license.

Continuing Education

  • Residents must complete and report 24 hours of continuing education during each licensing period. 
  • Three (3) of the required hours must be in ethics.
  • Courses must be taken during the two-year licensing period.
  • See Continuing Education webpage for additional information and forms.

Criminal History Record Check

  • Applicants are required to furnish fingerprints effective July 1, 2011.
  • Fee is $39
  • Fingerprint packet will be provided by Department upon receipt of application and fees.
  • Applications will not be processed until the background report has been received.
  • Licenses will not be issued until the Department has determined that the individual meets all requirements and is fit for licensing.

Office Accessible to the Public

  • Wyoming law requires an adjuster to maintain an office accessible to the public
  • The Department will recognize a virtual or electronic office
  • All documents must be accessible to the adjuster, consumer or Department.
  • Keep in the office usual and customary records pertaining to activities associated with the license.

Simultaneous Licenses

  • An individual may be licensed as both an adjuster and a producer. 
  • A producer is not required to be licensed as an adjuster to adjust claims on policies the producer has written.z

Unlicensed Activity—Cause and Origin

  • An individual who is merely determining the cause or origin of a loss without any negotiation, investigation or adjustment of the claim may not need to be licensed. 
  • This will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Subrogation Claims Review
  • An individual reviewing a loss with respect to a subrogation claim who does not have any communication with the consumer and is not making adjustment of the claim is not required to be licensed.

Reports of Over-Insurance and Fire Losses

  • Any adjuster who investigates any property loss claim in this state shall report to the commissioner in writing any over-insurance of the property he discovers.
  • Any adjuster who investigates ANY property fire loss in this state shall report in writing to the commissioner the origin and cause of the fire, so far as he can reasonably ascertain them, together with any circumstances which in his opinion may indicate fraud or attempted fraud.
  • Reports and supporting documentation regarding over-insurance or fire losses is considered privileged information pursuant to Wyo. Stat. 26-2-113(d).