Licensing‎ > ‎Adjusters‎ > ‎

Non-Resident Adjuster DHS Wyoming

Legal Authority:   

Designating Wyoming as a Home State

  • This is an optional license type available for adjusters who are not licensed as a resident adjuster in the state in which they reside or principally conduct business.
  • Applicants must:
    • Pass the appropriate Wyoming adjuster exam, 
    • Submit fingerprints for a criminal history record check, and 
    • Report required continuing education credits during each licensing period.
  • Is required for nonresident adjuster licensing; Wyoming will acknowledge a designated home state license from another state for adjuster licensing, if it meets Wyoming minimum state requirements.
  • A licensee is not allowed to hold multiple Designated Home State licenses.
  • See the Nonresident Adjuster webpage for more information.

Exemptions from Adjuster Licensing

  • An attorney-at-law who is licensed to practice law in Wyoming.
  • A licensed producer who adjusts or assists in adjustment of losses arising under policies issued through that producer.

License Class

  • Nonresident Adjuster – Designated Home State Wyoming

Lines of Authority

  • Property and Casualty)
  • Crop (Multi-Peril Crop) – These are claims for losses or damages arising out of policies of insurance that insure crops.
  • The Adjuster Crop line of authority is available for individuals that will only hold the Crop line of authority.

License Term

  • License term is two (2) years.
  • Licenses renew on the second anniversary of the last day of the month of the licensee’s birthday.
  • Licensees shall inform the commissioner by any means acceptable to the commissioner of a change of address within thirty (30) days of the change. This can be completed through Sircon or NIPR.
  • Licensees should review and update their email address on file electronically through NIPR Contact Change Request at NIPR (no charge) or Sircon.

Licensing Fees

  • Initial Licensing Application Fee: $100
  • Criminal History Record Check Fee: $39
  • Total licensing fee: $139

Renewal Fees

  • Renewal Fee: $150
  • CE Reporting Fee: $30
  • Total renewal fee: $180
The fees submitted for an initial application or renewal/reinstatement application are non-refundable pursuant to Wyo. Stat. § 26-4-101.


  • Applicant must pass the Wyoming adjuster exam for the appropriate line of authority.
  • Exam must be passed within 12 months prior to applying for a license.

How to Register for an Exam

Pearson VUE administers all required insurance licensing exams for the Department. For information on exam scheduling, procedures and outlines, follow this link: Pearson VUE.

Study materials are available from these vendors:

  • (also provides adjuster exam information)
  • AdjusterPro


Criminal History Record Check for Nonresident Designating Wyoming as the Home State

  • Applicants are required to furnish fingerprints.
  • Fee is $39
  • Fingerprint packet will be provided by Department upon receipt of application and fees.

  • Uniform Application for Individual Adjuster License Renewal
  • Renewal Fee $150 and CE Reporting Fee $30
  • See Continuing Education section below.
  • See Continuing Education webpage for more information.

Continuing Education

  • Required for nonresident adjusters designating Wyoming as their home state.
  • Must complete and report 24 hours of continuing education during each licensing period. 
  • Three (3) of the 24 hours must be in ethics.
  • CE Reporting is required for renewal of a Non-Resident Adjuster Designated Home Sate Wyoming license.
  • A letter of certification from another state will NOT satisfy the CE requirement.
  • See Continuing Education webpage for additional information and forms.

Exemption from Examination
  • Nonresident adjusters licensed in their state of residence or principal place of business.
  • Nonresident adjuster designating as their home state another state in which they are licensed.
  • Wyoming recognizes a designated home state for purposes of nonresident licensing.
  • Exemption does not apply to nonresidents who are designating Wyoming as the home state.

Office Accessible to the Public

  • Wyoming law requires an adjuster to maintain an office accessible to the public.
  • The Department will recognize a virtual or electronic office.
  • All documents must be accessible to the adjuster, consumer or Department.
  • Keep in the office usual and customary records pertaining to activities associated with the license.

Unlicensed Activity—Cause and Origin

  • An individual who is merely determining the cause or origin of a loss without any negotiation, investigation or adjustment of the claim may not need to be licensed. 
  • This will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Subrogation Claims Review

  • An individual reviewing a loss with respect to a subrogation claim, who does not have any communication with the consumer and is not making adjustment of the claim, is not required to be licensed.

Reports of Over-Insurance and Fire Losses

  • Any adjuster who investigates any property loss claim in this state shall report to the commissioner in writing any over-insurance of the property he discovers.
  • Any adjuster who investigates ANY property fire loss in this state shall report in writing to the commissioner the origin and cause of the fire, so far as he can reasonably ascertain them, together with any circumstances which in his opinion may indicate fraud or attempted fraud. See Fire Loss Reporting form on the Department’s website.
  • Reports and supporting documentation regarding over-insurance or fire losses is considered privileged information pursuant to Wyo. Stat. 26-2-113(d).