File a Complaint

Consumer Complaints
If you are an insurance consumer and you are having problems with your insurance company and you have not been able to resolve the issue, you may contact this department for assistance. To file electronically, follow the link to the electronic version of the form for Wyoming consumers. We will look into the situation for you.

Consumer Request for Assistance

To report suspected insurance fraud: please click on the following link to the National Association of Insurance Commissioner's Online Fraud Reporting System. We will then investigate suspected insurance fraud occurring in Wyoming.

While the authority of the Insurance Department is very broad, it is not limitless. We can enforce only the statutes the legislature passes and regulations allowed by law. We can require insurance companies to abide by the policy provisions, but we cannot dictate what those provisions should be other than those the legislature says must be in the policy. If an insurance company does not violate the Insurance Code and processes your claim according to the policy, the Insurance Department may not be able to take action against that company.

Examples of complaints which fall under our authority:
  1. Improper denial of a claim or an offer of an amount less than indicated by the policy.
  2. Delay in claim handling.
  3. Illegal cancellation or termination of an insurance policy.
  4. Misrepresentation of policy coverage; or misappropriation of premiums paid to an agent or broker.
Examples of complaints which do not fall under our authority:
  1. Refusal to insure (unless there is unfair discrimination).
  2. Rates (except in very limited circumstances).
  3. Deciding who is at fault for an accident (we can make sure the company conducts a reasonable investigation) or deciding how much your car is worth (we can make sure the insurance company bases the value on an appraisal).
Additionally, we cannot regulate all types of health insurance plans. While we will try to assist you to the best of our ability, it may be necessary to refer your complaint to the U.S. Department of Labor Pension and Welfare Benefit Administration (ERISA)or to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (FEHBA). If your plan requires an appeal within a specified time limit, you should file the appeal. This complaint does not constitute, and is not a substitute for, an appeal.