Commissioner’s Corner

August 2018

Each month the DOI posts short Q & A installments of commonly asked insurance questions and responses from Wyoming Insurance Commissioner, Tom Glause. If you have a question you would like to see addressed or if you want additional information, please feel welcome to contact the DOI at 307-777-7401 or 1-800-438-5768 or at:  

Lost Life Insurance Policies – Part II

You may remember from last month’s Commissioner’s Corner that the Life Insurance Policy Locator Service is a free, online service located at: 

Q. How do I submit a request using the Life Insurance Policy Locator Service. 

Go to the website and complete the form.  Some of the data fields must be completed to submit the request. If you don’t enter information into required data fields, you will not be able to submit your request. The more information provided about your deceased loved one will allow the participating life insurance and annuity companies to conduct a more accurate search of their records.

 Q. Is there a fee to submit a request?

No, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) provides this service free to consumers. Insurance companies should not assess a fee to you for conducting any search of their records.

Q.  Is there a limit to how many requests I can submit?

No. There is not a limit to how many requests you may submit, but only one request per deceased individual is needed since the search will be conducted by all participating life insurance and annuity companies regardless of the deceased’s prior state of residency or your current state of residency.

Q.  What happens after a request is submitted?

The NAIC will send you an e-mail with the request details to the e-mail address provided in your request. The subject line will begin with [confidential]. The sender of the e-mail is If you do not receive the e-mail, please check your spam folder. The NAIC will send notification of your request to participating life insurance and annuity companies and will ask the companies to search their records to determine whether they have an individual life insurance policy or annuity contract in the name of the deceased.

Q.  How will I know if a life insurance policy or annuity contract has been found?

 If a company has relevant information, the company will respond directly to you (the requester) if you are the designated beneficiary or are authorized to receive information. If no companies have relevant information, you will not be contacted.

Q.  How long will it take for a company to contact me?

It may take up to 90 business days. Please note an insurance company may require additional information from you. This may include a notarized death certificate and documentation of your legal authority to request or obtain information about the deceased.

Q. What if I need additional assistance to resolve an issue with an insurance company?

Please contact the Wyoming Department of Insurance at 307-777-7401 or submit a request to be contacted through this website.